Monday, June 29, 2009

Monk and the Culinary Weekend

Last week went by mighty fast as I ran the last lap of my report. It’s always the case that when the end is in sight and one sees the light at the end of the tunnel - it makes it easier to run. You do whatever it takes just to make the end come closer… you clench your fists, you grit your teeth, you run, you take quick short gasps of air, you leap. And when you reach the end, your lungs scream for air, you let out a triumphant scream and you imagine the dolby-surround applause.

Thank you, thank you.

And till the next report.

Spending time with Monk has been a pleasure, and it feels like Monk is finally taking a liking to me. He fits together better, rests better on my lap, fits better into my hands and reacts better to my touch. He is also beginning to sound better, I hope I’m beginning to do something right. The wonderful thing about my interactions with Monk, is that he has rejuvenated me and rediscovered my creativity. What’s not so wonderful is that being with Monk requires me to connect with my inner self, which makes me more emotive and reflective than usual. I find myself needing a short break after each session with Monk to “wake myself up” from being drunk with music + emotions. I remember when I used to write poetry, it were those sad and violent scenes that inspired me the most.

The highlight of the weekend was definitely the gastronomic delights. On Friday evening, I checked out Chalk at Old School (Mount Sophia) with Kathl and V1. It was a lovely meal of half a dozen of herb butter escargots, ravioli stuffed with truffled mushrooms and crème brulee for me. Escargots were juicy and fragrant, a tad bit salty but I nevertheless found myself soaking up the melted herb butter with the soulful warm bread. The ravioli was amazing, in a light cream sauce. It would have been perfect if not for the 40-50 minutes wait between my appetizer and my main course (Poor Kathl suffered the same predicament). Kathl and I suspected that it may have been something to do with our location in the corner of the restaurant, but I thought it was not quite justifiable considering we got 3 of the servers to check on our orders. The restaurant was packed to the brim, so maybe the kitchen was in chaos. I just don’t like it when servers say “I’ll go check on your order” but don’t return with an update. As a result, I keep asking, and I continue being frustrated. Will I return to Chalk, yeah probably… but maybe not on a Friday evening. Lovely ambience, I especially liked the seats by the wall (allowed me to discreetly sit with my legs crossed), and the iron cast framed glass windows. $$$$

Saturday evening saw a trip to Al Divo (8, Jalan Gelenggang, Sembawang Hills Estate, off Upper Thomson Road) with the girls for a special night. Run by two brothers – Fabrizio and Cesare, Al Divo serves honest, authentic Italian food from the Amalfi Coast. Fabrizio manages the restaurant and handles most of the guest interaction, making recommendations on the menu; while Cesare holds the fort in the kitchen. The two brothers are supported by Valentina, who hand makes the pasta and the dulci. The restaurant is very proud of their squid ink pasta, which is prepared with an oil base and not squid ink (so you don’t smile charmingly at your date only to realize, with horror, that you have black outlined teeth). Seafood is procured fresh from the market every day, and this transfers delightfully onto my palate. I am a fan of their Selection of Antipasto, which has a morsel of every antipasto they serve in the restaurant (parma ham, come to mama), and their little gambas prepared with olives, garlic and tomatoes. Homemade ravioli stuffed with salmon and zucchini in cream sauce absolutely melted in my mouth, and I cleaned up the plate before my friends, which was rather embarrassing I have to say. We shared a Humphrey Bogart pizza, which was thin crusted and holly molly, came with a full lobster on top of it!! What a sight!! To end the dinner, Fabrizio treated us to some chocolate salami in frothy anglaise sauce, and we ordered a few desserts to share. I tried and will try again the Cassata de Ricotta and Ciocolatta – I don’t care how much calories there might be in that short column of heaven, but if it tastes that good, it must be good for me. The girls were all praise and smiles by the end of the dinner, which we always hope for at the end of an evening. So big high five for Al Divo! $$$$

For Mei’s birthday on Sunday, la familia trooped to one of our favourite culinary haunts in the country. Dad has been visiting Thien Kee Hainanese Steamboat (Basement, Golden Mile Complex) since he was a kid, and you won’t believe this, but the same guys run the restaurant till today. Think: Hainanese Steamboat (with fresh beef and steamboat ingredients) with Hainanese Chicken Rice, and Hainanese hospitality. It’s a recipe for success!!! The chicken rice is soft and fragrant, and the steamed chicken tender and oh-so-perfect. This restaurant is always full, and the food is so good, I wish I could keep it a secret. Then again, I’m not sure how long these old folks can last and if they will be able to find another generation to continue the tradition. Yummilicious!!! $$

With that, I shall now end my blog and proceed to dinner at my next great find – Oriole at Pan Pacific Serviced Apts. I find it good value for money, with delicious café food and a very warm and cosy atmosphere. Did I say I’m in time for happy hour??

Gotta go!

No comments:

Post a Comment