Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Bus Man

Koks and I make it a point to greet the bus drivers every time we get on the bus. It's basic courtesy, and when you think about it, it's a pretty routine job. The bus drivers drive the same routes every day and pick up random people at various bus stops. Some times, bus drivers will respond to our greetings; and sometimes, they just balk and stare at us as if we've just gotten on the bus and flashed at them, or we've got a third eye on our forehead.

There is a particular driver that Koks and I have grew to be rather fond of. When Koks and I used to take the same bus to work at the same time each day, we'd board his bus. What strikes me about this guy, is that he has a big grin and it feels like he grins from the bottom of his heart. As if he was genuinely happy to see us. 

Then we stopped taking the same bus to work, because a fixed-time Super Bus service started which ferries Koks from home to work in record time; and i started going to work later when i switched jobs. We don't see the guy that regularly anymore, and boarding his bus has become more of a bonus. Like a very pleasant surprise. Like waking up to freshly brewed coffee and a warm brioche. When i see him and his bus approaching from the distance, I start to smile; and upon seeing me waiting at the bus stop (it's not hard to see me from a distance), his face erupts into his distinctive grin. It just makes me warm inside.

This morning, I happened to leave home earlier than usual, and guess what? I got into his bus again!!! This time, i didn't realize till the bus was about 5 metres in front of me. I got on and he said, "Hey miss, good morning!" to which I replied, "Good morning! You're extra early today!" Usually, he'd ask me where my "husband" was and if he had already left for work. After my usual 15 minutes on the bus, I got off and we waved to each other as i walked away from the bus stop.

What a lovely way to start a day!

Introduced moms to Monk last night, before which i told her, "this will change your life forever." Haha, but isn't that true of every moment in our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment