Thursday, March 31, 2011

Positivity is the Elixir of Youth


Over lunch on my own today, I watched a young gay couple enjoy their lunch at the table next to mine. They were in their teens, looked very fresh and trendy, were cute individuals and looked sweet together as well. I smiled to myself, and thought, ah, the wonderful years of being young and free.

I’m not that much older (or so I wish to believe), but of late, have entered this stage in life when suddenly you have to make very “grown up” decisions. I never thought much about age, and disregarded the social expectations of age-coherent behavior. I remember one time, when I was 27, I was fooling around in the back seat of the family car with my three younger sisters. Dad looked at mom, and said, “are you sure she’s 27?” I found that hilarious and motivating, actually, and secretly was proud to be silly.

Now, I find myself having to make wiser financial decisions (fine, I’m turning 30. No big deal, I hear you say? Yeah I know it’s no big deal, but things just happen you know? What am I to do???), plan a wedding, contemplate career changes and think about family planning. It seems a little surreal. On one hand, I feel empowered and excited about the future, on the other hand, I can’t help wonder if I’m ready to grow up just yet. I still want to learn DJ-ing (and I somehow just cannot imagine how a family woman can be a cool DJ – but it must be possible right? Right???), backpack through the silk route, do fun stuff that only young hip people seem to do. And I wonder, am I missing something? Will it be hard for a married woman, with children at one point, to still be cool, young, fun loving and have time to learn stuff???

All this is probably self inflicted. Who says I need to get married, and who says I need to have children soon? But you see, this is part of that whole growing-up-and-making-grown-up-decisions phase, which bums me sometimes. Being an adult is still more fun than being a kid, i feel. I don’t miss being a student, definitely not having to do homework and study for exams; and i like that i am earning my own keep and can travel when i want.

But I do miss the times when my biggest concerns were how to chase boys around the block as fast as I could, how not to look too nerdy but more hip, and how to hide the pimples on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment