Monday, March 21, 2011

An Amazing Life with an Amazing View


Last Wednesday, I woke up bright an early in a small B&B in Central East Bali to this incredulous view. I had arrived at the B&B in the late of the night, and could not see what was beyond my fluorescent light-lit verandah. It was a very cool evening, temperatures were probably hovering at about 15 degrees. We had a simple dinner of papaya curry (try to imagine that!), some local vegetables, the chef's special fried chicken and soto ayam; before a long conversation ranging from movies, to books, to religion (of course), and the meaning of life.

Now, i shall not dwell into the discussions of the meaning of life. It is far too large to be contained in one blog entry, and far too indulgent a topic for me to write about. In a nutshell, i do not believe there is a meaning to life per se, and i justify my existence by trying to be a better person, and to make life more pleasant for the people around me. I think life, is like a glimpse between two dark eternities. There is no beforelife, nor an afterlife. I like to think this way, to be honest. It reminds me of the temporary and fleeting nature of my life. I'm not afraid that i will be no more, but more afraid of not utilizing my life to the fullest.

Recently, together with Koks and a good friend who resides in the godforsaken land of the vikings, we came to the conclusion that the best life strategy is summarized in 3 alphabets.

E, D and F.
Eat, Drink and F**k.

The funny thing is, when my companion and I were discussing about the meaning of life in the darkness of Central East Bali, he mentioned that life is about relationships, good food and wine. That struck me. Maybe there is some truth in this EDF life strategy. Maybe we're really onto something here. Maybe it could really work. I thought about it for a few days, and wondered... how about family? That falls under relationships... how about travels? how about.... music???

So now, I've revised it to the TMFED life approach... and it's pretty exhaustive i find. What about work and professional success? I am still struggling with that one, it always elicits mixed feelings... but perhaps that is merely a means to achieving the TMFED way of life.

At the end of the day, perhaps that's all that matters.

3 comments:

  1. I like your blog entries.Everything is relative.
    We waste time thinking,we waste time by not thinking.Its human to wonder if life serves a purpose.But its all the other creatures that understand there is no point in thinking why we have a life.
    All we need to do is live.
    I know this sounds like gibberish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. life is about discovering what makes you happy, and the challenge is whether you follow what makes you happy or not. this is everyone's ultimate purpose, as your purpose serves YOU, not the other way around. that's my philosophy. I like your philosophy as well. on a day-to-day basis, i think you've got it right ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Demi, most definitely. Your purpose should serve you. At the end of the day, it's about how you feel about your day/ life when you go to bed at night. If you were to die in your sleep (i'm knocking on wood), would you leave with tonnes of regrets or be able to smile to yourself that you have done what you could have done, loved as you could have loved, and left behind a legacy of good relationships and a positive impact.

    ReplyDelete