Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Courtesy and Gurkhas

This morning, in my usual morning hustle (today on wobbly heels), I was slightly startled by someone who appeared from behind the lift landing. He chirped "morning", while i scurried past while feebly attempting to put on a big smile on my face. Shortly after, i realized it was the regular worker who clears the trash in the public bins.

I am quite disturbed and ashamed that I didn't reciprocate to his morning greeting, because suspicion crept up faster than courtesy. Recalling the days in Europe, we'd greet everyone in the same building, be it on the stairs, at the lobby, at the bicycle stands, trash room, bus, bakery etc. People just don't do it here. I don't know if it's the lack of basic courtesy (like how the pregnant ladies and the old folks almost never get a seat in the bus), or that people are taught to be suspicious and wary above everything else.

I resolve to look out for him from now on, and give him a huge "morning" to brighten his day. Emptying trash all day can't be much fun.

Drove by a cop truck load of gurkhas today on my way to work. Yum. =)

1 comment:

  1. You'll be surprised they might just love their jobs. Ha, my ususal group of 4 have this thinking, that when we grow old, we wanna be the millionaire sweeper, who sweeps with no worries and cares in the world, fully secured in his position and light-heartly, sweeping to contribute back to the society in a stressfree environment.
    I get great good mornings and smiles from the guy who cleans the corridor too, he's sweet.

    ReplyDelete