Thursday, October 22, 2009

Birthdays, Family and Friends

I love organizing birthdays... of everyone else's but my own. I find making birthday plans for myself very indulgent and selfish, but when else to focus on myself if not on the anniversary of the day when I was born? On that thought, instead of celebrating my birthday, I should be celebrating my family and friends - people who have made a difference to my life thus far, and who have loved me and allowed me to love them back.

I have had a very charmed life, with no tumultuous tribulations or trials. It is something I do not take for granted, as I know that i am largely a product of being in the right place at the right time with the right people. If i were born in Sumatra or in the indian slums, I will not be sitting here today, sharing my thoughts while i sip on my new favourite drink of hot toddys (good lord, this stuff is good!! why has no one ever shared it with me???) So life is good to me, and I promise to be good to life.

This has been an eventful birthday. It was a great day professionally, and i had dinner with part of the family and Kokopops in Fragrant Harbour, which was small, intimate and cosy - just the way i like it. That was followed by a long weekend in the Upper Seas, being very well taken care of by a friend. All birthdays from now on will be spent away on vacations!! Why have i never thought of that before??? Combining one of the most impt times of the year with one of my favourite activities???

1 comment:

  1. haha idea...!

    actually, i've travelled on my birthday month for the last 4 years! this year was the first time i was home, and it felt strange (but good!) to have spent it here, with family and close friends :)

    ReplyDelete