Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Childhood, Imagination and Floorplans

(drawing not mine, but taken from a website)

As a child, I enjoyed looking at floor plans. I would create imaginary people in my head, and envision them walking through the curved doors, along the paper corridors, in and out of bedrooms, using the bathrooms, jumping into the pool and so on. I had a fascination for interior of homes, building and designing little pockets of cosiness, unique corners, hobby areas. I even created a world inside my personal drawer - the coin holder was a swimming pool, the piled little Minnie Mouse address books were steps to a platform, my erasers were people. I shifted furniture in my bedroom once every 2 months, pulling out the drawers of my work desks, draping blankets over the tables (with the drawers drawn out), to create a little private underpass from the bedroom door to under the bed (and of course, i then slept under the bed - for effect.)

I didn't grow up to be an architect, or an interior designer. Thankfully, my current profession still allows me to indulge in floor plans, design, textures and ambience of areas.

Imagination is such a powerful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment