Monday, March 15, 2010

The Green Murderer and a Miracle

I admit, I do not have green fingers. I have tried to grow plants at home, but to no avail... I can't and don't want to count the number of green friends I have massacred over the years.

...sniff... it's too painful to recall.

2 Christmases ago (i.e. 2008), I received an orchid plant from Kathl as a gift. And i thought to myself, what a lovely plant... oh no, I'm going to kill it. I carried the pot home, excited and apprehensive at the same time. It was in full bloom at that time.

I witnessed, as days went by, the gradual degeneration of the plant, and it left me torn and devastated. I watered it, i spoke to it, but nothing seemed to work. The stems turned brown, the leaves fell off. Even ants began to make its roots home.

Then one day, the neighbouring plant toppled over its stand (i suspect it's the white fat cat loitering our stairway!) and fell out of its pot (and died, of course). Some of the soil from the pot accidentally crumbled into the pot holding the orchid plant. I didn't know how I could possible remove the soil without hurting its roots, so i left it there.

Strangely enough, my orchid plant began to show signs of life... A new bud of leave sprouted out of the parched stem... then another, and then another. And they began to grow and grow and grow. This gave me a renewed sense of motivation, and I got more diligent in watering the plant. Twice a week, a pinch of fertilizer for each watering.

Last week, a miracle happened!! Flower buds grew out of the plant!!! It went beyond showing a sign of life, but a desire to enhance its existence with blooms! Blooms!!! Who would have thought??? Since then, I have been checking on the buds everyday, speaking soft words of tenderness to them, egging them to stay strong and to grow.

Yesterday, after a day out, i came home, and lo and behold.
There was a flower.


A flower!!!! The plant made it!! It escaped the crutches of death, clawed its way back, and bloomed!!!!

I can't wait for the other buds to open and lend me a new lease of life!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment